Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Topic of the Day

Is......... ADOPTION!



If you know me well, then you know that from the time I can remember I have wanted to adopt a child.
We started on the subject at work this weekend and wouldn't you know it, two ladies (one nurse and one RT) that are sitting at the same desk as me have adopted!

So we began talking about the pros, the cons, the costs, the legalities, the surprises and (most importantly) the L*O*V*E!

Adopting is such a very big process. You have to do applications, your home study, lawyer "things" ~note that I have no idea what all that entails yet, approvals, denials, patiently waiting... waiting... waiting... GOING, and going now. The list is really far more extensive than this.

But despite the time, money, work, waiting, going and process in general, one thing that is constant-- They would not change it for the world!

There are so many verses in the Bible that call us to adoption.
Do I think that means every person needs to adopt? Heck no. Does every person get called to be missionaries over seas? No. Does every person get called to the alter? No. But I do think that we all get called to do these things (and more) as best we can in our own capacities.
We ourselves are, in every sense of the word, adopted. Christ adopted us, he adopted our sins as his own. So for me (and Shawn I feel comfortable saying), adopting is something we have been innately called to do and already planned for our future.

There are two main "types" of private adoption. International and Domestic. Both have so many pros and cons, it is hard to imagine choosing one over the other.
I asked one of the gals here who said, "There is such a great need around the world. The US does not have all these children sitting in cribs never being held."
Her statement hit home. Maybe more than I wished it would.
I have been so set on adopting from the US that I have failed to look at what the "big picture" is. That one statement weighed so heavily on my heart. That one statement has made me rethink what boarders I had set in my mind.

What are yall's thoughts?
Have you adopted? Dom or Int?
 :)



~K



No comments:

Post a Comment