Thursday, February 2, 2012

Along with the rain comes...

Mud? Gloominess? Flowers?
Well, yes. And in Houston, more car accidents that they already have. I think I saw a half dozen serious car wrecks the first week I was here, when the weather was near perfect. I can only imagine how many more have happened now. With the rain, all the radio weather guys keep repeating is that the roads are slick, the roads are slick. I had to laugh when I first heard this. It just reminded me of the sign that accompanies almost each and every bridge saying, "Watch for ICE on bridge."  Uh, duh?
Work is going really well, I enjoy my co-workers so much! I finally had my first day on my own. Which I got kinda screwed, to no fault of anyone really. Every kid had at least one IV med that was given at least twice on my shift. Half of the other nurses left with one kid, they had sent the rest home. I left with 4 of my 5 still there. So needless to say, I was pretty busy all day, giving meds, mixing meds, giving more meds. Still, I really had a great day. I was  little tired but I'd rather that then have nothing to do all day!


On the way home I decided to stop by IKEA. Ahhhh.... I have only seen it on the internet. In person is so much better! A lot of the things are cheaply made, but their smaller items are pretty neat. I will have to go back again before I go home!

On a side note, the Fiesta grocery store about a block away got robbed last night. Someone ran their vehicle into the back where the pharmacy is. They are trying to find out if they took any meds. Some cars nearby have been stolen in the middle of the night. We live right on a main road, so hopefully the number of other cars driving by and the small amount of time that would be allotted for someone to break into our cars or home would deter someone for doing anything to our stuff. Still, it makes me nervous.  For my KC friends, the area that we live in is pretty "hip." If you took a bunch of old, neat, remodeled houses and put them in the river market, that is the equivalent to our neighborhood. A really neat area, but pretty close to downtown.

Today, Lindsey and I are going with our neighbor to look at some cool antiques! He owns an antique shop himself and is somewhat of a "picker." He has really cool things that you never actually see in real life. Plus, he obviously knows the amazing antique shops...So I better get ready!
Kristin

2 comments:

  1. You be careful down there with those crazy drivers. Worse than the ones from Kansas. he he. Glad it is going well for you. Only 92 days, 6 hours, 25 mins, 2 sec, 517 msec till you get to come home or there abouts. Talk to you soon. I know you will do a great job. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete