Monday, April 9, 2012

The Most Amazing Trip

The second week in March started off like usual: working. Three shifts, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Wednesday bright and early I boarded a plane for KC!  We had a little gathering with family and friends at the new bar in Zona, Bar Louie. Good times with great people!
On St Patty's Day, we left for Hawai'i! Roughly 12hrs later and two plane changes, we landed in the most beautiful place!



We flew into Oahu and stayed at Embassy Suites (which if any of y'all forget, has delicious breakfast) for three days. (Oh yea, and "y'all" is in my vocabulary  now... sheesh!)






While we were there we went to Wakiki beach and the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Interesting observation: There is a large number of Japanese tourists in Oahu. I would estimate that the memorial had more Japanese tourists than American.

        



     



The memorial  was more than breathtaking. To see something up close that you have learned about so many times is nearly overwhelming. Particularly when you are there with a family that experienced the ultimate loss of a son/brother/friend in the military. To stand over the USS Arizona knowing that so many men still lie below you, buried at sea, really weighs on you.  A unique and humbling experience.

 
 






We stayed for three days then flew over to Maui! We had such a great time! There were nine of us total: Shawn's "adopted/bonus parents," Kim and Jon, their son Ryan, his wife Liz, their beautiful baby girl Kayla, daughter Lindsey, family friend Devin, and Shawn and I. We stayed in the Maui Banyan condos which was great, right across the street from the beach in Kihei.

The boys boogie boarding













Pig cooked in the ground
While we were there we went snorkeling and snuba diving (like scuba but your tanks float on a raft above you instead of your back, bypassing all the training you would need), drove the Road to Hana, went shopping, paddle boarded, boogie boarded, had lots of yummy food, flew to the Big Island and went up to the top of the volcano, went to the top of the volcano on Maui, a lavender farm, winery and a very fun luau!



 
Beach in Kihei, lava rocks

The Road to Hana- One of many waterfalls

It was truly an amazing time and I cannot think Kim and Jon enough for allowing us to accompany them on this trip!





Lindsey and I

One of many beautiful sunsets

Beachin' it up
OH YEAH!! PLUS, I GOT ENGAGED!!!!! :)

For those of you who don't know, I met Shawn almost 9 years ago at college! He left for the Marines later in the year and we kept in touch here and there. We both took our own paths in life and those paths eventually crossed again, and boy am I glad! Not only is he a man that has been through so much and is well grounded, but he treats me great (I'm talkin' being my best friend, compromising with me on things, being a gentleman-- holding open doors kinda stuff-- and being my honest to goodness soulmate)! I could not ask for a better man to spend the rest of my life with. I am lucky gal and I know that life will be nothing less than fabulous from here on out!





3 comments:

  1. Um your blog isn't supposed to make me tear up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe you, my mom, and Mal... it's a theme today ;) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you two again. Shawn, did you really cry? Haha...so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete