Monday, January 23, 2012

Going in circles

Yesterday it hit me, I am down here for good. It hit me as we got closer to Shawn leaving. I held in some tears, but lost it a bit when he went to security and then again in my car. I am super blessed to get to be here and for the experience, especially since I get to see Lauren! Although, I already miss some of the comforts of home...

But, I have officially made it through my first day at work! Though it took a little, no scratch that, a LOT of driving. Shawn and I had checked out the location of my first day and the hospital main campus before he left, which is located in the middle of a ton of other hospitals. I went to my first building for training today, found somewhere to park after a few trips around, and made it inside!

Then I was told to drive to the next building, where I will actually be working. It is a mess to get around not only the city itself but especially that area. I went in, no kidding, about a dozen circles trying to get around. And you have to dodge trains, the trolly that goes around, people walking everywhere, strange stop lights, big knots in the lane that occasionally block turn lanes, watch the signals of when you can and cannot get in a certain lane in case a trolly is coming down it, and of course the random people that pull out in front of you. I was a wreck.
So you can guess my excitement when I finally found the valet for the Texas Children's Hospital (TCH) main entrance.  Luckily for me the valet area was pretty packed, because when I went inside to the main desk, I was quickly informed that I was at the TCH- West TOWER. My job is at TCH-West CAMPUS. Two different placed divided by roughly 25 or so miles. Yup, I was at the wrong place!

So, I grab my car right before they are about to park it, punch the correct address into my GPS, and head out. After a mild panic attach when I realized I had gotten onto a toll road and had no pass that is needed for it, I made it to the location I will be working! It's an awesome hospital! For my CMH gals, much like South in terms of acuity. They do have an OR and clinics that have been open for a little more than a year. The inpatient floor has been open since last March and next week the second floor will be open as well. I got a better idea of the kids I will get, but not a great one. From what I can see, it seems like a short stay area, so I think that I will be just fine! I am excited for this week. Tomorrow is just computer training but then I get two days of orientation with nurses Wed and Thursday and another on Sunday.

The day was capped off by getting a pedicure with Lauren and her friend Chelsea, so it ended well! :)

On a side note... Houston! It is warm here, humid but not too bad right now. Unlike KC, the businesses are concentrated right along the highway. In KC we get off an exit and travel one way or the other to get places. Here, tons are just located right there on the side roads running parallel to the highways. Lots of car dealerships and furniture stores!

I have to get up early again tomorrow so I think it is time for bed!
Love and miss you all,
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. glad you made it through your first day! Traffic sounds SCARY!

    ReplyDelete